As another week continues into the COVID-19 pandemic and with most of the United States still under stay-at-home orders, many are itching and needing to get back to work. A flicker of light is beginning to be seen at the end of this dark tunnel though, and the probability of returning to work sooner rather than later is becoming more and more likely. To help us prepare for a return, we must be extremely mindful of the health and safety of all employees and patrons and implement devices and reminders throughout the workplace.
As stated in the White House’s Guidelines to Opening Up America Again, an emphasis on good hygiene and the implementation of appropriate policies in the workplace are key guidelines in all return-to-work phases and in maintaining a healthy work environment. These guidelines are as follows:
- Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer, especially after touching frequently used items or surfaces.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible.
- Strongly consider using face coverings while in public and particularly when using mass transit.
Develop and implement appropriate policies regarding:
- Social distancing and protective equipment
- Temperature checks
- Use and disinfection of common and high-traffic areas
- Business travel
A great method to enforce the government’s guidelines as we re-enter the workplace is to display constant reminders and implement tools for employees and patrons to use. Below is a list of some ways you can prepare your workplace for a safe and healthy return.
- Have hand sanitizing stations at every entrance and exit
- Hand out small hand sanitizer bottles to individuals as a way of protection (this can also be used as a promotion if given to patrons)
- Purchase face masks for employees
- Incorporate social distancing footprint floor decals
- Display social distancing or COVID-19 prevention signage in the form of a window cling, poster, a-frame sign, or retractable banner
- Display handwashing instruction signs in bathrooms
While COVID-19 is seemingly controlling our world and how we live now, there are steps to control it as well. By implementing signage, sanitizing stations, face masks, and floor decals, we can help improve our work environment to safely welcome back employees and patrons and keep their health at the forefront.