A common question we get from clients is “should I have a blog?” Let’s get this straight – blogs can be a lot of work. With that being said, to stand out from the crowd in this world where all businesses have a website, a blog can truly set you and your business apart.
Establish Authority in Your Industry
Unless you’ve found an incredible niche, it is extremely hard in 2019 to make your business or product stand out from the competition. With so many other people competing for your customer’s attention, it is crucial to gain their trust. By writing quality content that helps your readers solve a problem, you are gaining their trust as a source of knowledge. A constant flow of helpful content will push you to the top of your respective industry. One day you may even become one of the go-to thought leaders.
Connect With Your Community
Whether your business has a physical location or not, one of the most important factors for long term success is to develop a connection with your customers. Some have found this more difficult as many businesses have transitioned to the digital world. But there are many pros to this as well! Establishing an online community for your business is a great way to connect with customers without forcing them to visit your store during business hours.
Engaging your customers online becomes much easier with a blog! Here’s a quick list of some of the many great ways that a blog opens your business up to more:
- Get the discussion going by allowing user comments on each of your articles.
- With every blog posted comes more content for you to share across your social media platforms. You may even get other people to share your content which opens you up to many more connections!
- Every new piece of content is adding to your database of helpful resources. This not only helps people visiting your blog, but gives you plenty of information you can share with people in person. If someone is struggling with a specific problem you’ve covered, refer them to the blog!
- There are countless other opportunities to market your business through your new blog. Send out a monthly email to engage current customers, share your articles on other news and content sites to get more traffic, and much, much more!
For a long time, businesses believed they had to represent themselves as an extremely sterile, professional, and straight to the point entity. Things have changed! Nowadays people want to be able to relate to a brand. By sharing your story with the world, you’re giving people a look into yourself which in turn allows people to connect to you and your brand. This is a great way to gain continued customers.
Better Search Rankings
Constantly adding new and helpful content to your website boosts your Google Search Ranking in 3 main ways:
- Google loves “fresh” content. In a 2011 blog post, Google stated that their algorithm is able to judge how old the content you’re looking for should be. For instance, if you’re looking for the results of recent NFL games, you’re most likely not going to want to see results from the 2012 season. On the other hand, if you’re looking for the best pepperoni pizza recipe, timing isn’t as much of an issue. In a service or marketing industry, you generally are going to want fresh content as nobody wants a trend from 5 years ago. Therefore, Google is generally going to promote the freshest content. Post a new article and its relevance should be very significant thus giving it a better chance at a higher ranking.
- You are filling your site with an abundance of relevant keywords that people will be searching for. With every article comes more quality content for your visitors to consume and more highly searched terms for Google to connect to your site.
- As long as your content is high-quality and remedies your user’s problems, they should be spending a significant amount of time on your website. Google’s 2011 “Panda” Update stated the user’s experience is a large proponent of how well a site will rank.
From higher search rankings to obtaining visitors from social media shares, you are destined to get more viewers and more business from your online marketing efforts. This is known as inbound marketing. You are creating great content which is attracting people to your business. Over the past few years, blogging has been an essential part of inbound marketing. According to the 2018 State of Inbound report, Blog content creation was a top priority for 55% of businesses, just slightly behind Growing SEO/organic presence. This shows just how massively important your blog is to gaining traffic to your website.
Just Get Started!
No one starts out as an amazing blogger. Focus on finding a problem that your customers have, then give them helpful content on how to remedy that. That’s all it takes! Don’t overthink it, just start.
“Don’t focus on having a great blog. Focus on producing a blog that’s great for your readers.”
– Brian Clark of Copyblogger